History of Woolwich Fire Company
On Feb. 25, 1893, a fire in the Arcade Building at the corner of Mill Hill and Kings Highway in Swedesboro threatened to spread throughout the village. Residents formed a bucket brigade and valiantly fought the fire. After this event, Woolwich Township enlisted residents to form a committee to buy a fire truck. In April 1898, the first fire truck was purchased from Gleason & Bailey Co. of Seneca, NY for $375. That August, the Woolwich Fire Company began with 36 men who signed its constitution and paid 50 cents each to join.
From those beginnings, the all-volunteer Woolwich Fire Company, which serves Swedesboro and Woolwich Township, has grown to a state-of-the-art fire department with cutting edge equipment, apparatus and members trained in life-saving techniques. About 32 active members respond to some 600 calls a year.